This juice is time tested in my household. People who normally say they don’t like green juices, always tell me they like this one. My dear child, slurps this juice up in one gulp…I think that is a good testament to having found the perfect balance and texture of ingredients. However, the main reason I frequently drink this juice is not so much due to its refreshing taste, but because of its medicinal properties. Kale is alkalising and rich in potassium, which makes this a great source of anti-inflammatory hydration for our body. Kale has also shown to be protective of our cellular membranes, through its antioxidant and phytonutrient properties no doubt, which also means that this beast can play an active role in protecting our DNA from expressing ‘negatively’. A crucial attribute of a food in this day and age of increased exposure to technological radiation. Ginger, is circulatory, anti-inflammatory and digestive. Ginger is also known as a carrier, and plays a role in carrying medicinal plant properties to our cells where they can carry out their healing work. Lemon is rich in vitamin C, some minerals and the white fluff between the peel and the meat is where most of the bioflavanoids reside, like magic. Bioflavanoids are essential for the health and pliable maintenance of all our capillaries and blood vessels, as well as our skin and its wound healing abilities, and our mucuous membranes (in particular the ones in our sinuses). Apples contain many phytonutrients, one of them being pectin, which is a prebiotic that sets the pace and groundwork for the colonisation of our gut microbiome. The nutrients and sugar in apples can have a similar ‘wake me up’ effect in the body as caffeine, but without the jitters, adrenal exhaustion and dehydration, perfect. Apples are also antioxidant in nature and rich in soluble fibre, which points out how great apple really is for our gut and general health. I truly hope you enjoy this juice as much as I do and that it will find a way in your self care routine.
- 1/2 bunch kale (any type works but I recommend Dinosaur Kale)
- 2-3 apples
- 1 lemon, barely peeled
- 1 knob ginger
- Wash and trim all ingredients and cut if needed into sizes that fit your juicer. Make sure you only just cut off the peel on the lemon, to ensure that the white bioflavanoid layer remains intact.
- Juice and drink with a straw straight away.
- FRESH and organic ingredients are essential, everything needs to be fresh and perky in order for the flavour to be optimal.
- I recommend the Oscar juicer as it slow and cold processes the juice and you are left with a delectable texture of the juice yet also with nutrients intact.