This ‘break the fast’ meal is a bit of a life saver in a vegan’s winter months. Smoothies just don’t quite cut it when it is really cold. There are many different ways of making this porridge, which is great, so once you get the gist of the process you can be as creative as you desire with the ingredients and the proportions really. Grain-free is a great way to go if you want to lighten the load on your body’s immune system and inflammatory processes.
This porridge is high in minerals, fats, soft fiber and antioxidants, thus a lovely start to the day ensuring good support to your nervous system, muscular skeletal system and digestive system.
- 1 cup of filtered water
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract (you can use 1/2 a vanilla bean)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp almond meal
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 cup frozen organic mixed berries, cooked with a small cinnamon stick until rather liquid
- 1/2 sliced banana
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios (any nuts will do)
- 1 tbsp dried currants (any dried fruit will do)
- 1 tsp tahini (black, hulled or unhulled or any other seed/nut butter)
- cinnamon and or cardamon powder to taste
- In a pot, heat up the frozen berries, with a little bit of water if needed, and a small cinnamon stick until the berries form a nice thick liquid, then set aside
- Measure out all the seeds and meals, and put them in a small bowl for easy administering
- Put water and the vanilla in a small pot on low to medium heat, and bring to a simmer
- Add the seeds and meals and stir regularly until the liquid has absorbed and a porridge has formed, this should only take a minute or so
- Add a pinch of salt, stir and take the porridge off the heat, and with a lid on leave the porridge to rest whilst prepping the garnish
- In a serving bowl, put in the porridge first, then add your choice of milk or use the berry liquid on its own, add the rest of the garnish and finish off with some cinnamon and or cardamon powder
- If you have a sensitive digestive system, you can swap all the seeds for meals and increase the amount of water used.
- For a sweeter flavour, use your preferred milk instead of water.
- Some coconut oil and or local honey can be added to boost nutrition and flavour.
This porridge may even encourage you to get out of bed in the morning, enjoy!